The sedan segment is probably the most mundane and boring automotive group outside the minivan sector. It seems like every single 4-door car out there looks like each other. These passenger cars are mainly used for family daily driving duties. But there are a handful of cool sedans that break the mold with sexy good looks or a high performance engine. Check out these picks for the Top 10 Cool Sedans.
10) Ford Taurus SHO – Sure the base model Ford Taurus is a great passenger car with a reasonable price tag at $25k. But there is a more menacing trim level out there called the SHO which stands for Super High Output. The SHO is the only model you should ever think about if you are shopping for a Ford Taurus. This beast is powered by an ECOBOOST twin-turbo 3.5 liter V-6 engine that pumps out 365 horsepower and 350 lb-ft. of torque through a 6-speed automatic transmission to all 4 wheels. This power allows the large Taurus sedan to accelerate from 0-60 MPH in 5.2 seconds with a quarter mile time of 13.6 seconds. The Ford Taurus SHO is the coolest sedan Ford currently makes and the price tag is $38k.
9) Kia Optima Turbo – Kia went outside the normal box when creating the Optima. The design features a progressive style with a dramatic front grille that sets off the rest of the vehicle. The Optima shares the same platform as the Hyundai Sonata but is a much cooler sedan. What Kia did that makes the Optima so cool is they added a turbocharger on the already potent 2.0 liter engine. The result is a very usable 274 horsepower and 269 lb-ft. of torque. There are not many vehicles out there that cost $25,000 that come with this kind of performance. Oh and the Optima Turbo gets 34 MPG on the highway. How cool is that!
8 ) Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG – The Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG is all about excess and massive overkill. Do you really need over 500 horsepower out of your car? Hell yeah, and that’s why the E63 AMG is one cool sedan. The Mercedes-Benz E63 sedan is built on an unassuming E-series chassis but it is the powertrain that sets the E63 AMG above and beyond the rest of the pack. The $88k price tag buys you a 5.5 liter twin-turbo V-8 engine that pumps out 518 horsepower and 516 lb-ft. of torque. The 7-speed automatic makes lighting quick shifts and the E63 AMG does 0-60 MPH in 4.2 seconds and kills the quarter mile in 11.9 seconds. If you have an extra $7300 you can but the AMG Performance Package which ups power to 550 HP and 590 lb-ft. of torque, adds a sport suspension, and raises top speed to 186 MPH among other things!
7) Nissan Maxima – The Nissan Maxima does not get as much attention as it once did. The sedan segment is now packed with tons of great competition but the Maxima is still one of the Top 10 cool sedans you can buy. The SV model with the Sport package adds a sport tuned suspension, set of 19-inch aluminum wheels wrapped in P245/40VR19 tires, paddle shifters, HID headlights, and a darker chrome grille. The cost for all this is $37k. Power comes via a 3.5 liter V-6 engine boasting 290 horsepower. The Maxima with the sport package is a great all around performer that does everything well enough.
6) Audi A6 – You may think the Audi A6 is just a normal everyday luxury sedan with nothing special to offer. The engine is a supercharged V-6 that only puts out 301 horsepower. The fuel economy is average at 28 MPG on the highway. In fact on paper the A6 can be considered very mundane. But in person the Audi A6 is a sight to behold with its sexy body and trick LED headlights that are the best in the automotive industry. The A6 makes the list of cool sedans thanks to a gorgeous exterior and plush interior. In fact there is so much technology packed into this car it would make a geeky person’s head explode. And with a price just under $50k the Audi A6 is a cool sedan that many people can afford to own.
5) Volkswagen CC – The CC in the Volkswagen CC stands for comfort coupe. But a coupe has 2-doors which is why this car may be a bit confused! One thing is certain; the Volkswagen CC is a sexy looking vehicle. This car looks the elegant part with its sleek roof line and LED lights. The Volkswagen CC price ranges from $28k – $40k. You can get a base model with a manual transmission and turbocharged 2.0 liter engine or the top of the line Restriction model which features 4MOTION all-wheel drive and a 3.6 liter 280 horsepower engine. What makes the Volkswagen CC a cool sedan is the fact that is has the looks, luxury, power, safety, and technology all wrapped up into one nice package.
4) Subaru Legacy GT – Beside being know for its Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive System, Subaru has also risen to fame as the producer of the best sport compact tuner car in the World; the STi. The Subaru STi is a high powered pocket rocket that is the envy of young adults everywhere. But what happens to those who have grown up and now have a family? Enter the Subaru Legacy GT. This cool sedan features some of the best components from the STi including a 2.5 liter turbocharged engine that makes 265 horsepower. The trick all-wheel drive system is standard as is the close ratio 6-speed manual transmission. The Legacy GT can run 0-60 MPG in 5.3 seconds and has a base price of $31k.
3) Hyundai Genesis R-Spec – Hyundai gave us both a coupe and sedan version of the Genesis. The coupe is a sexy little car while the sedan has been winning awards and hearts as an affordable luxury car. The lower trims are great for those wanting tons of technology and luxury features with Korean reliability. But those in the know will opt for the coolest sedan ever created by Hyundai; the Genesis 5.0 R-Spec. The 5.0 denotes the displacement of the V-8 engine while the R-Spec denotes a high performance monster. Power checks in at 429 horsepower and 376 lb-ft. of torque which is enough to do a huge burnout. The Genesis R-Spec has a great 8-speed transmission and retails for about $46,500. 0-60 MPH rockets by in 5 seconds flat with a quarter mile time of 13.5 seconds. Those are great figures for a luxury car costing less than $50k.
2) Volvo S60 R-Design – For years Volvo has been playing catch-up to the other luxury sedan manufacturers. Well with the new S60 R-Design, Volvo has finally come up with a cool sedan they can be proud of. Starting with a streamlined exterior, the S60 R-Design features aggressive bumpers, a new grille, 18″ Sleipner wheels, and a dual exhaust. The engine in the S60 R-Design is a turbocharged 3.0 liter inline 6-cylinder that makes 325 horsepower and 354 lb-ft. of torque. Power is transferred through a 6-speed automatic to the all-wheel drive system. The price of the Volvo S60 R-Design is $43k.
1) Dodge Charger SRT8 Super Bee – The Dodge Charger SRT8 Super Bess is a cool sedan because it costs less than a regular SRT8 and offers the same amount of performance. For $41,620 you get a huge 6.4 liter HEMI V-8 engine that makes 470 horsepower and 470 lb-ft. of torque. The Charge SRT8 Super Bee runs the quarter mile in 12.6 seconds and does 0-60 MPH in 4.2 seconds. That is some pretty great performance out of a 4-door muscle car. The Super Bess gets a throwback yellow paint job giving thanks to its heritage. There are also a bunch of other great features like 20-inch aluminum wheels and black interior with yellow stitching and striping.